On September 3, 1897, during a meeting at the Marlborough Hotel in Bar Harbor, members of the Village Improvement Society conclude that “some form of hospital is both expedient and even now necessary.” A committee composed of local citizens and summer residents undertook to raise $10,000 for the construction of the “Bar Harbor Medical and Surgical Hospital.” So began the establishment of Mount Desert Island’s oldest nonprofit. In 1931, trustees renamed the facility “Mount Desert Island Hospital” to recognize Island-wide support for the institution.
Since it was established more than a century ago, the Mount Desert Island Hospital system has grown to meet the needs of its island community. Today, the MDI Hospital system is the Island’s second largest employer and the only independent hospital system in Hancock County. In addition to its flagship hospital facility, the system includes Birch Bay Retirement Village and a network of seven primary care health centers across MDI and in Trenton, as well as two specialty clinics: the Island’s first nonprofit dental center in Southwest Harbor, and the region’s only behavioral health center in Bar Harbor.
To the patients they serve, MDI Hospital, its health centers, and Birch Bay Village are more than a healthcare system, they are a medical home, where friends and neighbors care for friends and neighbors, and compassionate, state-of-the-art care strengthens the health of the community.