Click for complete Community Benefits Report in PDF
Fiscal Year 2014 (May 2013 – April 2014)
Mount Desert Island Hospital is committed to the health of and quality of life in the MDI region. Through innovation we continue to meet the evolving needs of our community while we embrace a compassionate, neighborly approach to care. Our dedication to excellence has been recognized with national awards for patient satisfaction and for the delivery of care in a rural setting. Today, MDI Hospital is a beacon of quality care for residents and visitors and a model of rural care delivery for the nation.
Free and Uncompensated Care:
- MDI Hospital provided hundreds of people with free and uncompensated care in fiscal year 2013. The total value of free and uncompensated care provided by MDI Hospital was $4,309,389.
Community Health Services:
- Childbirth Education Classes – MDI Hospital’s OB department provides low-cost classes for new families on labor and deliver, breast-feeding, newborn care, sibling issues, and infant and child CPR.
- Flu Clinics – MDI Hospital conducts low-cost public flu clinics each year at several locations throughout the community. A total of 162 people took advantage of these convenient clinics in the Fall of 2012.
- Diabetes Education – MDI Hospital’s Diabetes Education program provides guidance and support to help people manage their disease.
- Tobacco Avoidance Education – participated in Healthy Kids event at the MDI YMCA to provide information on chemicals present in second hand smoke.
- Telemedicine Services – Using two-way telecommunications technology, MDI Hospital is able to connect clinicians in the ICU, ER, and on outer islands with providers located miles away.
Subsidized Health Services:
- YES (Your Exercise Solution) class in Bar Harbor – MDI Hospital’s Wellness program provided 2 classes per week for 50 weeks to a total of 1,300 participants.
- Health Fair – 55 people received free screenings and 162 people received flu shots at the MDI Hospital Health Fair in fiscal year 2012.
- Free Blood Pressure Clinics – MDI Hospital’s Wellness Department provided free blood pressure clinics throughout the island, serving 87 people.
- Community Walking Program – A total of 160 participants participated in the Hospital’s free spring and fall walking programs.
- Free Cancer Support Group – With sponsorship from the MDI Hospital Auxiliary and MDI Behavioral Health Center, and in collaboration with the Beth C. Wright Cancer Resource Center, MDI Hospital provides free monthly support groups for patients, survivors, and their families.
- Prescription Assistance Program – At no cost, MDI Hospital’s Prescription Assistance Program helps those who lack prescription coverage access free or reduced cost medications available through programs sponsored by pharmaceutical companies. Between May 2012 and April 2014, the program helped 515 people receive 890 free prescriptions valued at $563,000 wholesale. Since 2007, the program has saved eligible participants over $1,300.00.
- Chronic Disease Prevention Programs – MDI Hospital continues to provide support for programs operated by Healthy Acadia for the management of chronic disease.
Financial and In-Kind Contributions:
- Event Sponsorships – MDI Hospital contributed $2,550 as a sponsor of events hosted by the Southwest Harbor Library, the Maine Alzheimer’s Association, the MDI Marathon and the American Cancer Society.
- MDI Hospital donates space in its conference rooms, the Community Health Center and at Birch Bay Retirement Village for local groups to conduct meetings.
- MDI Hospital’s dedicated staff contributed countless hours of volunteer time to groups such as Hospice of Hancock County, the Maine Alzheimer’s Association, Island Connections, the MDI Marathon, and the Healing Hands Quilt Group.