Pregnancy and childbirth can be a wonderful and exciting time. However, it can also be a time for anxiety and/or concern for new parents who are unsure of what to expect or how to care for themselves and their newborn infant. With this in mind, the OB Department of Mount Desert Island Hospital and the Lisa Stewart Women’s Health Center offer several classes during your pregnancy to help alleviate these stresses as you prepare to embark on the magnificent journey of parenthood. Ask your healthcare provider about current dates and times for the classes listed below.
The following classes are offered throughout the year:
Labor Class #1: covers signs of labor, stages of labor, comfort measures, breathing techniques and coaches’ role. Take by Week 36.
Labor Class #2: covers the labor tub, labor pain management, anesthesia options, possible interventions, Cesarean Section information and maternal post partum changes. Take by Week 36.
Breastfeeding Class: covers importance of breastfeeding, how it works, how to get ready, breastfeeding positions & techniques. Take by Week 36.
Breastfeeding Support Group: Meets the last Wednesday of each month. Share experiences and questions, develop confidence, network with other mothers. Dads and babies are welcome too! Group meets at Birch Bay Village from 6PM-8PM.
Newborn Care: covers the newborn admission process plus the basics of newborn care including feeding, burping, diapering & bathing, sleep patterns, crying & soothing techniques. Take by Week 38.
Sibling Class: prepares big brothers & sisters for the arrival of their new baby. The class is geared toward younger children (toddlers to age 7). Please call instructor for older children. Timing is flexible based on your schedule. Take by Week 38.
Infant & Child CPR: American Heart Association Friends & Family class provides instruction for new parents on what to do to help an infant or child in an emergency situation. Can be taken at any time. For moms’ comfort, take by Week 36.
Prenatal Yoga: Held throughout the year on Mondays at the Lisa Stewart Women’s Health Center. Call the center at 207-288-8100 for current schedule.
OB Department Tour: helps familiarize you with where things are, how the rooms are laid out, our department security measures and more. Tour is held on the 15th of every month at 7 pm.
- Registration required for all classes, call OB at 207-288-5082 ext. 1352 for more information.
- Classes are held at MDI Hospital & the Lisa Stewart Women’s Health Center.
- The classes are typically are 2 hours in duration.
- Dads/partners/coaches are encouraged to attend these classes with mom.
- Classes are free to attend.
How to Enroll:
- Ask your healthcare provider for a registration form, call MDI Hospital & ask to speak to the OB Nurse on Duty to have a form mailed to you or Download Registration Form.
- Decide which classes you are interested in taking.
- Look at your schedule (keeping in mind your due date) and select your dates.
- Mail or fax your registration form to the OB Department.