Pregnancy and childbirth is a wonderful and exciting time. However it can also be a time for anxiety &/or concern for new parents who are unsure of what to expect or how to care for themselves and their newborn infant. With this in mind, the OB Department of Mount Desert Island Hospital offers several classes during your pregnancy to help alleviate these stresses as you prepare to embark on the magnificent journey of parenthood.
The following classes are offered throughout the year:
Labor Class #1: covers signs of labor, stages of labor, comfort measures, breathing techniques and coaches’ role. Take by Week 36.
Labor Class #2: covers the labor tub, labor pain management, anesthesia options, possible interventions, Cesarean Section information and maternal post partum changes. Take by Week 36.
Breastfeeding Class: covers importance of breastfeeding, how it works, how to get ready, breastfeeding positions & techniques. Take by Week 36.
Breastfeeding Support Group: Meets the last Wednesday of each month. Share experiences and questions, develop confidence, network with other mothers. Dads and babies are welcome too! Group meets at Birch Bay Village from 6PM-8PM.
Newborn Care: covers the newborn admission process plus the basics of newborn care including feeding, burping, diapering & bathing, sleep patterns, crying & soothing techniques. Take by Week 38.
Sibling Class: prepares big brothers & sisters for the arrival of their new baby. The class is geared toward younger children (toddlers to age 7). Please call instructor for older children. Take by Week 38.
Infant & Child CPR: American Heart Association Friends & Family class provides instruction for new parents on what to do to help an infant or child in an emergency situation. Class can be taken anytime. For Moms’ comfort take by Week 36.
OB Department Tour: helps familiarize you with where things are, how the rooms are laid out, our department security measures and more. Tour is held on the 15th of every month at 7pm.
- Registration is required.
- Classes are held at MDI Hospital & begin at 6pm.
- The classes typically are between 1 – 1 1/2 hours in duration.
- Dads/partners/coaches are encouraged to attend these classes with Mom.
- Fee for each class is $10.00 per class per couple.
How to Enroll:
- Ask your Health Care Provider for a registration form or call MDI Hospital & ask to speak to the OB Nurse on Duty who can mail you a form; or Download Registration Form
- Decide which classes you are interesting in taking.
- Look at your schedule (keeping in mind your due date) and select your dates.
- Mail or fax your registration form to the OB Department.